TEXT BY SARAH STEBBINS
Affordable apartments in Waterville’s reimagined Mount Merici Convent, built in 1967 for the Ursuline Sisters. A former chapel with a vaulted wood ceiling and stained-glass windows became a community space.
Number of gravestones volunteers reset or replaced in Gardiner’s 1771 St. Anne’s churchyard. Twenty-one were rescued from cemetery owner Christ Church’s basement, where one helped support the foundation.
Years Norma Rossel has been involved with the 1840 Troy Union Church. Starting with a donation jar at the Troy General Store, she and husband Greg raised some $290,000 to restore the Greek and Gothic Revival church’s tower.
Buildings in the Lewiston Commercial Historic District, which includes honoree Scruton Block. For decades, an aluminum screen covered the 1873 Romanesque Revival, which houses retail and 12 apartments and flaunts its original embellished brick.
What the feds paid for Boothbay Harbor’s Burnt Island in 1821. Burnt Island Light was built that year, with granite cut on-site. Now state-owned, the structure received a half-million-dollar restoration in 2020.